How can I get sponsored to work in the UK?

To maintain its competitive edge, the UK invites skilled professionals to work in the UK under the Tier 2 visa scheme. Under the scheme, workers whose occupations are on the Tier 2 Shortage Occupation List can apply to work in the UK on a long-term basis. Popular careers on the list include IT, finance, teaching, healthcare, and engineering. Lawsonjob can help you take advantage of this talent shortage in the UK and secure yourself a UK work permit.

How long is a work permit in the UK?

If skilled workers must come to the UK, they need to hold a skilled worker visa. (Formerly Tier 2 visa). You can apply for this visa if you have gained a skilled job in the UK. The wage requirement for this visa is £25,600, or the occupation-specific wage requirement or ‘prevailing wage’.

UK Skilled Worker Visa Details

Skilled worker visas allow skilled professionals to build their careers in the UK. Under the UK skilled worker rules, the maximum stay period is 5 years. The Skilled Worker visa is a points-based visa and applicants must score at least 70 points for their application to be considered. Points are awarded based on:

  • Do you have proof of sponsorship from your employer
  • Are you getting an appropriate salary
  • your English communication skills
  • Repair funds you hold

If you meet these parameters, you can apply for a skilled worker visa.

Tier 2 visas are subdivided to allow the following professionals:

  • Tier 2 General Visa: For workers who have a job offer in the UK and whose occupation appears on the shortage occupation list. 

This has been replaced by the skilled worker visa

  • Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa: for company, employees transferring to the UK
  • Tier 2 Religious Minister Visa: For Religious Ministers in Religious Organizations
  • Tier 2 Athlete Visa: Coaches and Athletes

If you have successfully obtained a skilled worker visa, you can:

  • study in the UK
  • Take the family to the UK
  • to and from the UK


You have three months to apply for this visa before you begin working in the UK. The start date will be mentioned on the certificate of sponsorship you receive from your UK employer.

You will get a visa decision within three weeks of your application. Processing times are expected to decrease for many applicants as the UK government puts more occupations on the shortage occupation list.


This visa is valid for a maximum stay of 5 years.

The duration of the work visa depends on the duration of your work contract. You can extend your stay if you do not exceed the maximum duration of the visa type. You will need to apply for an extension online or at the UK Visa Advanced Services Centre.

You can stay on a Tier 5 visa for up to 14 years and 2 days or the period mentioned in your proof of sponsorship (plus 1 month), whichever is shorter.


The documents required for a UK Tier 2 visa include:

  • Possess a valid employer sponsorship certificate
  • Salary and Financial Details
  • Current passport and travel history
  • A certificate that proves your English skills
  • Certificate of Good Conduct
  • Other supporting documents


The Skilled Worker Dependent Visa is for children and partners of those who hold a Skilled Worker visa or have applied for a Skilled Worker visa.

The following persons are eligible for the Skilled Worker Dependent Visa:

  1. Spouse
  2. Unmarried or same-sex couples
  3. At the time of application, children under the age of 18
  4. Dependent children over 18

The partnership between spouse and partner should be genuine and they should plan to live together during their stay in the country.

Repair Funds:

Dependents of skilled workers cannot recourse to public funding and in their application, they must demonstrate sufficient means of financial means for their stay in the UK, if there are dependents, they must demonstrate that each dependent has an additional £630 available.


The main applicant and dependants must be at least 18 years old on the date of arrival in the UK or the date the visa is issued.

Other requests:

You must not have held a UK student visa, a short-term study visa, or been on leave as a parent of a Tier 4 student (child) on or after March 2015.

Additionally, you must meet the general grounds for admission. You must have a clear immigration history with no overstays. You must have no intention of staying in the UK when your spouse or relative’s visa expires.

Application Process:

The skilled worker dependency visa application can be made at the same time as the primary skilled worker visa application or a later date.

Regardless of when the application is submitted, the successful applicant will be granted leave according to the main visa applicant’s leave time.

The approval process may vary depending on where the Tier 2 visa was approved.

As a Skilled Worker Dependent visa holder, you can:

for the same length of time in the UK as the Principal Skilled Worker visa holder

work, with limited exceptions

study or enroll in postgraduate courses under certain conditions

If you continue to meet the eligibility criteria, please apply for an extension of the visa as required by the main applicant. When the key visa holder leaves the UK, you will not be eligible to apply for an extension.

You cannot receive public funding or be a doctor in training, dentist, or professional sports coach

Tier 2 visa applications are assessed against the UK’s points system. A person must have at least 70 points to be eligible for a visa. 30 points are awarded for job offers proof of employer sponsorship. If your occupation has a place on the skill shortage list, you can earn an additional 30 points. With those 60 points, it’s relatively easy to get the remaining points.

Find a UK employer who can sponsor a Tier 2 visa

It is easy to find a copy in the “Points-Based Licensed Sponsor Roster” open to the public. This contains a list of all employers entitled to sponsor international employees.


Lawsonjob can help you make the most of this opportunity with our end-to-end UK Tier 2 visa support.

  • Immigration Document Checklist
  • Complete application processing
  • Forms, documents, and application documents
  • Update and follow up
  • job search service
  • Relocation and Settlement Support in the UK

Talk to us to find out how you can start your career in the UK.

Hope the above information is helpful to you!

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.