Dependents include: Who are ligible for dependent visa in UK?

Want to live in the UK with your family? The Dependent Visa process helps UK citizens and certain visa holders to call their dependents living with them in the UK. You can bring your spouse, children, parents, and other close relatives to the UK with this visa. Lawsonjob can help you understand the complexities of dependent visas and apply with the highest chance of success.

Dependents include: Who are ligible for dependent visa in UK?

  • Spouse or legal partner
  • Children under 18
  • If they are currently in the UK as dependants, children over the age of 18

Financial proof:

The applicant must show that he can support his dependents while they are in the UK. He must prove that he has the required funds by showing a bank statement.


There are a number of ways you can obtain a dependent visa for your family. These include:

  • Apply for a dependent visa as a Tier 2 visa holder: You can bring your spouse and children into this program. You can study and work in the UK under this visa, with some restrictions. After 5 years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, which means you can apply for permanent settlement in the UK
  • UK Parent, Spouse or Child Visa: UK citizens and settled individuals can call their dependent spouse, parent or child who is currently not in the UK to live with them. The visa is valid for 2 years and 6 months and can be extended

The family visa category allows family members of permanent residents or UK citizens to apply to join the UK. This visa is for families and children. A UK permanent resident or sponsor whose family member applies for a visa is called a sponsor.


To qualify as a dependant, you must be the sponsor’s spouse, unmarried or civil partner. Children under the age of 18 can also apply for a UK visa as a dependant of a sponsor.

As the sponsor’s spouse or partner, you must be able to demonstrate any of the following:

  • you are in a UK approved civil union or marriage
  • You have been living together for at least 2 years when you submit your application
  • you are a fiancé, fiancée or intend to enter into a civil partnership or marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
  •  You must also demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of English

As a dependent visa holder, you will not have access to public funds. Before your application can be approved, you will need to demonstrate that your sponsor has the necessary financial means to support you and is willing to sponsor your accommodation.

If your dependent visa application is successful, you will be granted permission to enter the UK and be free to live in the UK without restrictions. There are no job restrictions, which means you can do any job and any skill level.

As a Tier 2 dependent visa holder, you can stay in the UK for the same amount of time as a primary Tier 2 visa holder.

work, with limited exceptions.

Study or pursue a postgraduate course under certain conditions.

If you continue to meet the eligibility criteria, please apply for an extension of the visa as required by the main applicant. When the key visa holder leaves the UK, you will not be eligible to apply for an extension.

You cannot receive public funding or be a doctor in training, dentist or professional sports coach


If you comply with the immigration requirements for this visa, you will be allowed to remain in the UK indefinitely. Dependent visa holders can apply for British citizenship as a British citizen after 5 years of continuous residence in the UK.


 Dependents can choose to apply for a visa within or outside the UK.

The documents required for a dependant visa depend on the pathway you are applying for. Commonly required documents include:

  • Passport and Travel History
  • background file
  • Spouse/partner documents, including marriage certificate
  • Proof of other relationship
  • Guarantor’s income proof to show sufficient funds
  • Completion of application and consulate fees
  • English language skills (not required for an elderly parent in your care, based on the documentation you provide)
  • If calling your child, they must be under 18 at the time of application

Apply from within the UK

If dependents come to the UK on a family visa, they can apply to live with the family. If they hold another visa, they can switch to a family visa to live with a spouse, child or parent. 

Biometric Residence Permit or BRP will be sent by courier. You don’t  have to collect it.  

Generally,  you will receive a ‘decision letter’ from the Home Office within 7 to 10 days of it saying you should live in the UK. If it is not possible to arrive, you can apply online. 

Apply from outside the UK

Dependents can apply for a family visa to live with their spouse or partner, children, parents or relatives.

In order to get  a biometric residence permit as part of their application, they need to get their fingerprints and a photo at the visa processing centre.  

They need to obtain a biometric residence permit within 30 days of their arrival in the UK.  

Depen determines which country they are in and they may be able to get a visa or other services faster. 


Applying for a UK dependent visa requires a careful and thoughtful approach. The Lawsonjob can help you get the right documentation so your initial application has the best chance of success. Our services include:

  • Guide you in choosing the right immigration strategy
  • Fill out the visa document checklist
  • Assistance during application processing
  • Forms, documents and application documents
  • Update and follow up
  • Relocation and post-landing support in the UK

Hope the above information is helpful to you!

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.